Construction Estimating 101: Introduction to Construction Estimating
An Introduction to Construction Estimating (3 hours of education!)
Construction Estimating 101 has been updated with new and improved content! The course has been expanded to 3 hours of content to help build your skills as a construction cost estimator.
About this course:
Get started learning about construction estimating!
Are you looking to start your career in construction estimating? Are you looking to start a construction company or a home improvement company and need to learn more about the estimating process? Construction and home improvement contractors must have skilled estimators in order to be successful.
Construction estimating is an essential function that every successful construction and home improvement company masters. Every successful project that a construction company takes on begins with a great estimate. Projects that start with great cost estimates have a much better chance of being successful.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics the demand for skilled cost estimators is projected to increase by 9% from 2014 to 2024. This is faster than the average increase of 7%. The 2015 median pay for cost estimators is $60,390 per year. Construction estimators represent a large part of the cost estimating profession.
Construction Estimating 101: Introduction to Construction Estimating provides a foundation for those interested in learning more about this important function. Construction estimators quantify specific details related to construction projects and develop cost estimates based on those quantities.
It makes sense that if the success of your construction company is based on good construction estimating processes that you should start out by learning the basics. This course provides an introduction to the construction estimating process.
When you purchase this course you will receive the Construct-Ed Estimating Rate Worksheet.
- Click on the chapter titled Introduction
- Scroll down past the video and click on the link for the Estimating Rate Worksheet to download the document.
- The worksheet will help you determine your production rates for the type of work that you complete in your company.
- What are the tasks that construction estimators are responsible for.
- What is construction estimating.
- What construction estimates are used for.
- How construction estimates are used as project management tools.
- What a construction estimate take-off is and how to completed one.
- What the four main quantities that make up construction estimates.
- See sample calculations for each quantity type.
- Learn how to adjust factors affecting cost estimates.
- Understand direct costs versus overhead costs and how they effect construction estimates.
- How to develop a final construction estimate.
- What take-offs are
Taken by over 325 students. Here's what a few have say about the course:
"Thank you for having this course!" - Tina
"Awesome course!! Really concise and easy to understand!!" - Abraham
"As a person just starting estimation training, the course was very informative." - Orlando
"Very good and interesting course." - Simon
"This course was a lot of help to me as a new estimator starting out." - Josh
Chris has over 30 years of experience in the commercial and residential construction industry. He has worked in multiple roles including leading construction crews, leading sales and marketing and serving as president of his family's construction businesses.
Chris has estimated and sold projects worth over $1,000,000. He has also been responsible for maintaining key accounts for over 25 years which have resulted in millions of dollars in revenues from repeat customers.
His history and current industry involvement include:
- He is a third generation contractor. His grandfather first started in the roofing industry in the late 1940's.
- He currently serves as the President of his family's commercial roofing company.
- He currently serves as the President of Roof Asset Management Inc. - a roof consulting and evaluation firm.
- He is a certified John Maxwell Team trainer and coach.
- He holds an MBA in Executive Global Leadership from Delaware Valley University.
- He has studied leadership with Bell Leadership Institute - Chapel Hill, NC.
"I have had a front row seat to see the benefits of personal development have for individuals and the companies who pursue education and growth. Constant growth is the difference between success and failure in business."