Common Symbols for Creating Professional Roof Take-offs and Drawings
Learn the Most Common Symbols Found on Roof Drawings and Roof Footprints
About this course:
Are you involved in the roofing industry? Are you exploring a roofing related career?
An important skill for anyone in the roofing industry is the ability to create and read roofing details and roof drawings. Roof drawings - also known as roof footprints - are 2D drawings of the roof system. These drawings allow estimators, project managers, foremen and roofing mechanics to quickly assess scopes of work and projects.
Roofing projects require many different team members. The teams are made up of estimators, project managers, superintendents, foremen and roofing mechanics. A common method of communication is required in order to run an efficient and profitable roofing project. If any of these team members are not on the same page, the project can begin to go bad and the impacts on the company and the customer can be significant.
A major component of any construction projects are the plans and specifications for the project. Projects that are developed by a design professional typically have plans that are part of the construction documents. But there are also projects where contractors complete work directly for building owners without involving a design professional. For this reason, it is important the professional roofing contractors be able to both read and interpret drawings as well as create roof drawings from scratch.
An important part of being able to create and read roof drawings is learning the common symbols that are used to develop those drawings. Common Symbols for Creating Professional Roof Take-offs and Drawings provides a foundation for those interested in learning more about this important skill.
When a new language is learned it helps the individual who learned the language become a more effective communicator. This course helps teach the skills needed to improve the communications skills of those involved in the roofing industry.
When you purchase this course you will receive the Construct-Ed Roofing Symbols Worksheet.
- Click on the chapter titled Roofing Symbols Worksheet
- Scroll down and click on the link to download the worksheet.
- The worksheet will act as a quick guide to help you learn the different roofing symbols.
- The different types of roofing penetrations and details.
- The corresponding common symbol for those penetrations and details.
- The different groups and types of roof penetrations.
- Common symbols used on roof plans and drawings.
- Why different types of penetrations are use.
Chris has over 25 years of experience in the commercial and residential construction industry. He has worked in multiple roles including leading construction crews, leading sales and marketing and serving as president of his family's construction businesses.
Chris has estimated and sold projects worth over $1,000,000. He has also been responsible for maintaining key accounts for over 20 years which have resulted in millions of dollars in revenues from repeat customers.
His history and current industry involvement include:
- He is a third generation contractor. His grandfather first started in the roofing industry in the late 1940's.
- He currently serves as the President of his family's commercial roofing company.
- He currently serves as the President of Roof Asset Management Inc. - a roof consulting and evaluation firm.
- He is a certified John Maxwell Team trainer and coach.
- He holds an MBA in Executive Global Leadership from Delaware Valley University.
- He has studied leadership with Bell Leadership Institute - Chapel Hill, NC.
"I have had a front row seat to see the benefits of personal development have for individuals and the companies who pursue education and growth. Constant growth is the difference between success and failure in business."