Building Your Skills as a Mentor in the Construction Industry
A Definitive Step-by-Step Guide to Building Your Skills as a Mentor in the Construction Industry
About this course:
It is difficult for employers in construction and the skilled trades to be able to find skilled employees.Most firms need to take on unskilled employees and teach them skills to be able to grow their businesses. But most companies lack a defined system for evaluating individual skills and abilities with the goal of helping those individuals grow.
Most employees get their start in the skilled trades by working their way up from a helper into a leadership position.They learn by working under someone who has experience and is willing to teach them the skills that are needed to build a career in the skilled trades.Many employees look for growth opportunities to help them build their skills and a solid future.
The role of a mentor is a critical component to build a solid workforce for the skilled trades.Mentorship is the way that older generations who have accumulated skills and abilities can hand their knowledge off to the new generation coming into the construction industry.
Mentorship in construction is a ladder that anyone can climb.It has 6 levels:
- Level 1 – The Interview
- Level 2 – The Learner Watches
- Level 3 – The Instructor Coaches
- Level 4 – The Instructor Provides Constructive Feedback
- Level 5 – The Learner Self-Corrects
- Level 6 – The Student Becomes the Teacher
This system has been developed by the team at Construct-Ed to help contractors develop a formalized mentor and training program within their company.It is a simple program built on these 6 rungs of the Buddy System Ladder.
Learn to train your employees more effectively and consistently for maximum performance. If you are an employee, learn how to coach and build others so that you can continue to grow your career.
In this Course You'll learn:
- Why mentorship is so important.
- What it takes to be a good mentor.
- The 6 Rungs on the Buddy Mentorship Ladder
- How the Buddy Mentorship training program works.
- How to rate yourself and others on the Buddy Mentorship Ladder.
Who Should Take This Course:
- Company owners and managers looking for a method of training and building their employees.
- Foreman & Superintendents looking for a solution for training employees who are new to the construction and skilled trades.
- New members of the construction industry who are looking to understand how they can move up in their company and industry.
Construct-Ed, Inc. is an online learning platform for the construction industry. We work with both in-house instructors as well as guest instructors to create high quality learning content. This course was created by our in-house team of instructors to help you build your skills and knowledge for a more successful career in the construction industry and skilled trades.
StartIntroduction to the Buddy System (0:39)
StartHow the mentor training works. (2:10)
StartRating Yourself on the Mentor Ladder. (1:51)
StartLevel 1: Mentor Interviews Helper (1:00)
StartLevel 2: Buddy Assists as a Helper (0:56)
StartLevel 3: Mentor Coaches Buddy (0:59)
StartLevel 4: Building Independence (1:37)
StartLevel 5: Self-Correcting (0:57)
StartLevel 6: Student Becomes the Teacher (0:21)
StartReview the Buddy Mentorship Ladder (1:01)
StartReview the Mentor's Role on The Buddy Mentor Ladder (1:23)